2018 was both awesome and a little terrible. I got a new job. A job I love and still love. A job where a new boss came onto the team, and while I love my team, I don’t love the boss. BUT I’m learning lots of patience and new techniques for dealing with bosses with whom I don’t mesh. It’s overall it’s had, but good for me.
We also learned that a family member has terminal cancer. Although it’s an “in law,” it’s been tough. I love this family member as if they’re my own, but struggle with guilt. I didn’t grow up with them, so I don’t get to feel as sad as those that are truly related. And what’s worse than my sadness is my husband’s. Watching him watch them slip away is near unbearable.
To be honest, both of these contributed to my blog kind of dropping off the face of the Earth for several months. It was just too much to keep up with. So I guess I learned self-care, too.
Here are a few things I accomplished in 2018:
- I read books from 2 countries on my list for the Read Around the World Challenge
- I read books with titles starting with 22 out of the 26 letters of the alphabet from the AtoZ Reading Challenge
- I read a total of 153 books, some excellent and some totally not
- I learned that it’s ok to not be ok or to get everything done
- I learned that I read a lot of romance in order to keep my mind as busy as possible when faced with a reality I don’t like
- I learned that I go back to basics, like my blog apparently, when I’m starting to feel human again
- I learned that “failing” (i.e. not accomplishing either of my reading challenges) felt totally ok, and that was weird but definitely an accomplishment
I think the things I’m most excited about in 2019 are:
- Cherishing as much time with loved ones as possible, and trying to keep the bittersweet at bay, to just enjoy the time
- Continuing to reinforce that sometimes staying the course is just as successful as continuing to receive increasing accolades
- Updating the layouts of my navigation banner
What about all of you lovelies? What did you learn in 2018? What did you accomplish? And what are you most excited to achieve in 2019?